Skip to main content

Anxiety and the Struggles That Came With

Anxiety has been a part of my life for a while... I personally did not struggle, but I have had lots of family, close friends, and acquaintances struggle and I have watched their pain. It is a lot different when it happens to you though. You won't truly be able to understand what someone feels like until you have personally felt this way.

My issues started happening a few days after I got to Nebraska. I was so excited to finally be able to begin teaching. Things were great to begin with and I felt on top of the world. Until I woke up one morning super anxious: heart racing, headache, felt like I couldn't breathe, upset stomach, and couldn't focus. I figured I'd take some ibuprofen for the headache and call it good... This however did not fix the issue. It got worse slowly. Each morning I'd wake up feeling worse than the day before. The problems went from the moment I woke up to the moment that I went to sleep (even woke up because of it most nights). I tried keeping it to myself, but I realized that I couldn't handle this by myself. I thought that I was going crazy.

I finally came to the decision that I should call my Mission President and let him know how I was feeling. I explained and he said that I should practice some breathing exercises and look at Adjusting to Missionary Life. I had previously been trying that, and felt like it wasn't helping. I continued trying these and called his wife multiple times each day to discuss how I was feeling. This helped slightly each day, but definitely did not take away what I was feeling.

I was on a mission and as a missionary we pray all the time. I kept asking for a little bit of relief in each prayer. I never felt that relief... I felt hopeless and helpless. Each day I was getting worse and no one could tell me why or how to feel better. They would listen and add how they work through stress, but it wasn't helping me.

Finally, one night my Mission President's wife said that we should look into a counselor and doctor. In order to get the counselor process going, I needed to answer a questionnaire to find out exactly what was going on. The answers/ my choices were: never, rarely, sometimes, often, or almost always. As I began answering, I confused myself. My answers before I got there would have all been never or rarely. My answers, all but one, were almost always or often. The one question that I was able to say never to was suicidal thoughts. I realized that I wasn't super crazy at that moment and finally felt some hope that I could find help.  

I still didn't know what to do, but felt a little relief. The next day was Sunday and I was beyond excited to go to church. Throughout that day things got to the point that I wasn't able to function. I couldn't think; I felt numb to the world. I wasn't myself and didn't know how to get to that point. That night after a phone call with Sister Gardner (Mission Pres. wife), I started having a thought that it would be better for everyone if I just didn't wake up in the morning. My rational self pushed the thought away, but in the morning it returned.

This thought persisted and is currently a problem that I am dealing with, but it scares me more than anything else in this world. Each time a push the thought away, it gets harder to say no to. I called Sister Garder the next morning when I kept having the thought and she told me that we should pack to meet with her and President. That's when things started to get better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Someone loves you!!!

I've been contemplating what I want to tell people on this blog. The thing I want everyone to know is that you are loved. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love you unconditionally. No matter who you are. No matter how far you have strayed from the path; they love you. Whether you feel it now, or not. They truly love you, and I, unconditionally. They are not the only ones though... there are people all around you daily that love and care about you. I have seen the love and support that can come from friends and acquaintances that you are not close to. Just because they are not your best friend, does not mean that they do not love and care about you. There are friends, family, neighbors, and strangers that care about you. When you feel abandoned or unloved, please remember that we love you. If you are not at a point where you can feel that love, pray to Heavenly Father. He will help to show you that you are loved and known by Him. I know that as you pray to Heavenly Father, you w

The Temple

Tonight, I was able to be reunited with one of my best friends. She has been attending BYU Hawaii. She is so cute and I love spending time with her. I have missed Bree so much. I also got to see my cute twins! Madi and Mo are hilarious and I never quit laughing when I’m around them. The picture that goes along with this post says #missionbound because each of us has made the decision to serve the Lord through full-time mission service. One is still on the fence about it, but the others have started the interview/papers portion. I am so grateful to have amazing friends who make good decisions in their lives. Tonight we went to the Ogden Temple to do baptisms for the dead. Since I’m endowed now, I had to do family names and was sitting by myself for a minute or two. I was reading in the Book of Mormon just to pass the time, but I was reminded of chapter four in the Doctorine and Covenants. That chapter is chucked full of advice for or about missionaries and their work. I know tha

Coming Home Early

After we got to Omaha, I was able to get scheduled with a doctor and a counselor over the next few days. I met with a counselor first and she gave me exercises to try. I started working on those, but again little to no improvement came. I then met with a doctor that was great and put me on some medicine to help, but the effects wouldn't be immediate. They should be working in 4-6 weeks... What was I supposed to do?? How was I supposed to go on and teach others when I couldn't think straight??? These are answers that I couldn't find. I talked to my parents and stake president. They told me that everyone at home loved me and would support me no matter what. I decided to try the meds for a couple days. My mission president called me the next night and I had decided that the medicine was making me too tired and was still not feeling good. I decided after many prayers that I wanted to come home in order to get feeling better. I thought it was going to solve all of my issues,